"I go around some street corners and have an idea in my head as clear as a picture. I like the cut-out I’m moving around in, slowly, toward change. Some things just wait for me to stop defending myself."--Kark Krolow

Sunday, January 2, 2011

I`II`MMXI

My usual arrival into the New Year is much like that of a teenager, fumbling around in the dark with another naked form for the first time; eager, nervous, and generally disappointing in retrospect. My plan of attack this year, however, is to not be so zealous, be a bit more purposeful with my movements, keep the lights on-- so to speak. Over all else, my main ambition is to learn how to not take unreasonable things too seriously, and finding and focusing on what's really worth laboring over. (Especially my writing, wish me luck with that one).

My mom has always said 'Be careful how you spend New Years Eve, it mirrors how the rest of the year will pan out'--in so many words. And she seems to have been right so far. I spent the two Dec 31sts (before the last) miserable, trying to pretend to be happy about where I was and who I was with. And the following days after felt nothing short of miserably forced. This NYE, I stood with a new great friend, our arms around each other, a glass of champagne in each of our hands, cheering unabashedly in a perfect little townie bar. Which is to say things should unfold in the next 365 rather nicely, I think.

one resolution of many: correct my faulty grammar skills.

2 comments:

  1. I spent my New Years alone watching a Criminal Minds marathon. I wonder what this means?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i spent mine nauseous and half-asleep thanks to one small glass of wine. as soon as i woke up the next day though, i felt completely different. 2010 was a shitty year, i'm glad it's a new one.

    ReplyDelete